Saturday, November 23, 2013

Remember in November.

(This is something most who suffer with MG have to debate with daily... Medication symptoms OR MG symptoms....)

Thinking back to when I was first diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis in 2009, and all the ups and down in between, I am very happy how under control it is, at least for now...


MY MG: I am still getting IVIG treatment every 4 weeks and I am now down to 10mg daily of Prednisone, and have not taken Mestinon more than about 4 times since my last post! I have felt a little tired when I wake up in the mornings, but nothing too bad and after breakfast I feel ok. I also haven't taken naps as often! :) I am anxious to see my Neuro next week and see what she suggests I do next. 

Although I am very happy that I have lowered my medications significantly and am doing well, it is very scary to lower medications and make changes when one has MG. You never know if/when you will have a flare up, and/or when you will get symptoms again. But you never know if you don't try, all I can do is be hopeful that everything stays under control.

I went to see a primary care physician a few weeks ago to get some blood-work done that my Neuro requested. I was told that everything is ok for now, but that I should be cautious of my carb and sugar intake to prevent anything bad from arising. (That is one of the hardest things for me to try and reduce, I love sweets and pastries and rice and bread!!) 

** I was able to walk 3 miles at the MG Walk this year! I was so happy to have so many people there to support and walk with me and to help find a cure for MG. I literally was not expecting to have any more than 5 people but this is the outcome and I cannot express how grateful I am to have such amazingly supportive people in my life.


Update in Life: I am still loving my job, it is a great learning experience and my new title is a "Behavior Therapist". I have decided that I want to get my masters (or maybe doctorate, I haven't decided) as a Behavior Therapist, and Special Education Learning and Behavior, AND get my Directors license. You're never to old to make new dreams, right? :)

I am beyond excited to go back home to Illinois for a week in December and then have my 16 year old brother come and spend a week with me in Texas. I cannot wait to see my family and friends!


Update in weight loss goals: After the MG Walk I have not been able to go workout as much as I would like to, mainly because of my job and because I am a bit hesitant to go workout and afraid that I might get too tired to function the next day.

I am still doing some stretching and light workouts at home, but am hoping to get more active as soon as I get the OK from my Neuro. I am still trying to eat healthy but the changes in Prednisone make it hard to not get cravings! I have been trying to eat under 1500 calories, less carbs, less sugars, less meat, and still have not drank alcohol since the beginning of October!

I still don't think I have lost any actual weight but, like I mentioned before, my jeans have been a lot looser now and I can see my waist/curves a little more, I have also gotten questions/compliments about losing weight/looking better. :) 

I have definitely gained some more confidence, I have been wearing clothes that I haven't worn in a while and have some days when I get ready that I actually think "I think I look good today", I have not thought that in about three years.



1 comment:

  1.  I'm 59 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting to underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, totalcureherbsfoundation .c om has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs,it class products at affordable prices because how awful it is with this lung dictions . I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life, certainly total cure herbs is the formula to get over Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.

    ReplyDelete